Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kitchen Table Thoughts

Alone again.  Not  for long, of course, only a little more than a week, but being at less than 50% of my capacities. it is not easy.  I'm suffering from a sore throat, runny nose, headache and lots and lots of self pity.  The thing is, with work and 4 kids, there is no way I can be sick, so I just have to handle it as best I can.  During the week it has been the usual: Getting up early, making breakfast and waking the children, making sure they all get to school on time.  The days I worked, I took  my youngest to daycare first, but the other days, we could hang out in our PJ's all morning, talk, play,  just not doing that much. I love having those days with him, and I think they are very important also, for my little boy.
Work days this week has been about photoshoots, photo editing and making of proof albums.  And I've been writing on a couple of articles.

Then weekend came.  On Saturday my eldest son participated in the regional final of 1st LEGO League, something he and his team had worked towards for weeks. I had to get up at 6:45 AM to help him prepare for his day and send him off.  Since my eldest daughter had rehearsals all day for an upcoming show: "Reisen til Julestjernen" (she is both dancing ballet AND playing the piano in the show, I brought the two youngest to watch my son's team compete.  It took place at the local University College (Høgskolen i Gjøvik), and the place was packed.  Kids everywhere, running, stressing, panicking, preparing their robots, trying to find their way in this big, confusing setup. But, the whole thing is really amazing, and I'm impressed by the kids and what they're able to do.  I'm also very proud of my son, who acted so calm and focused, and really did a great job! After watching several performances, I had to run some errands (grocery store, post office etc.) before I  took the small kids back home for lunch Then laundry, cleaning and cooking for dinner that night: Home made pizzas.   My eldest daughter made it back just in time, and we all enjoyed pizza, soda and some candy and games after dinner. Then my daughter went out again to meet with friends, and after putting the  youngest kids to bed, I watched a movie with my eldest son.

Today my eldest daughter had rehearsals again, she took off in the morning, and I brought my sons to watch my youngest daughter perform at the local riding show.  (She was picked up by a friend of mine early in the morning, since they need time to prepare and warm up the horses.)  Did I mention I'm sick, and that my youngest is sick too?  He actually threw up on the floor in the horse barn, and I could hardly talk all morning, my voice only a hoarse, coarse, strange sound.
Well, anyway, I was so proud of my little girl doing her performance, all alone in that huge riding hall, in front of the judges, but in the end we were all so cold we could hardly wait to come back home.
Wood fire, warm waffles and hot chocolate  helped a lot, and we had a cozy lunch at the kitchen table. Afterwards, I read a book to my youngest, and now he is  is sleeping, my youngest daughter watching "The Cat in the Hat" movie, and my eldest son playing on the computer.  I've made some coffee, taken some more painkillers, and now I do remember to breathe.

In a little while I'll cook dinner, prepare the kids' school lunches for tomorrow and hopefully have an early night.  I need that.  (Single) Motherhood is not for whimps, that's certain, but then again, it's also very rewarding, fulfulling and nice.  Just not that easy when sick...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!