Sunday, March 2, 2014

Before Midnight


I saw this movie on Valentine's day... And, what a perfect love story. Perfect, because it's not perfect. Because it shows the life of what could be a real couple in their early 40's. Their conversations, their problems, involving work, kids, regret and plans about the future...
There is doubt, anger, fighting and irritation, but their is also laughter, humor, shared memories and lots of love.

Before Midnight closes the trilogy which started with Before Sunrise in 1994 and continued with Before Sunset in 2004. I love these movies, and I've followed this couple through my adult life. When I saw the first one, I was, just like the characters, in my early 20's, and watching the second, and now the third movie about this couple, is much like catching up with old friends.
Richard Linklater directed the three movies, and what I specifically love about them, is that the main actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke are present in every single scene. Actually, during most of the 5-6 hours running time, they're not only present, but they talk, with each other, all the time. If you haven't watched the movies yet, you might think this a bit odd, but it works, it really does. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!