Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda (book review)

Finished this book today: Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. This time I actually read the Norwegian translation: Indias Datter (Juritzen Forlag).
The story had me hooked from page one, when a newborn baby girl is killed by her father... 
It's about India and it's about family. About adoption and cultural differences. About love and grief.
I really loved it, and to me it's a good book when you realize that the characters start to mean something, they matter, and you care about what happens to them.

There are a few errors concerning India, both culture- and language-wise, but to me that didn't ruin the whole. I can recommend the novel as a good read, and as a therapeutic means to understand some of those complicated strings that connect family members.

A quote: 
"At some point, the family you create is more important than the one you were born into."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!