Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Movie: Paris Je t'aime



This movie from 2006 is actually a collection of short movies, made by 20 directors, who each have chosen a part of Paris and a particular theme. But, it its flawlessly sewn together, to make a whole. Starring actors like Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe, Nick Nolte, Fanny Ardant, Bob Hoskins, Natalie Portman, Elijah Wood, Rufus Sewell, Gérard Depardieu and many more.

One of the less spectacular, but really most touching parts is this one: "The 14th Arrondissement", where we meet Carol, an American tourist describing her first visit to Paris in a voice-over.
Bear over with her less-than-perfect French (there are subtitles), and try to enjoy the sound of a person expressing herself in a foreign language.
Do watch it all the way to the end, because even though you may be thinking that this Carol is just an ignorant tourist, she really grows on you, and what she says towards the end,  is something I have experienced many times, while traveling alone:

"Sitting there, alone in a foreign country, far from my ob and everyone I know, a felling came over me. It was like remembering something I'd never known before or had always been waiting for, but I didn't know what. Maybe it was something I'd forgotten or something I've been missing all my life. All I can say is that I felt, at the same time, joy and sadness. But not too much sadness, because I felt alive. Yes, alive. That was the moment I fell in love with Paris. And I felt Paris fall in love with me"



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!