Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book: Stay if you can. Leave if you must.

.
I finished this book yesterday. "Bli hvis du kan. Reis hvis du må. " ("Stay if you can. Leave if you must.") is Norwegian author Helga Flatland's first book, published in 2010 when she was only 26 years old. 
The story takes place in the Norwegian countryside, in a small community where 4 young boys decide to join the military forces in Afghanistan. It's a sad story, and the different relationships are extremely well pictured. Four different voices tell the story, and only two of them are the young soldiers.
I think its a beautiful-sad description of growing up, parenthood, friendship, family and life in general, and it amazes me that such a young person has written it. 
Highly recommended for anybody who reads Norwegian, because I don't think it's translated - yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!