Monday, December 10, 2012

Annunciation by Leonardo


I've shared this painting once before, but I thought it wouldn't harm to show it once more. This masterpiece by Leonardo da Vinci, painted between 1472 and 1475, is one of my very favorites, residing in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.
It's Advent now, and I think it's a beautiful illustration of what the Christian world is celebrating: The birth of Christ. Here, many months earlier, the young virgin Mary is greeted by an angel, who tells her that she is going to have a child, and that this child will be the world's savior.
She looks mildly surprised, doesn't she, and who wouldn't be... It's incomprehensible. A mystery.
A wonderful, powerful, holy mystery, and that's what we are about to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!