Saturday, June 16, 2012

Book Review: Métronome by Lorant Deutsch

Another French book on my "TBR mountain", the reading challenge I'm doing this year: Métronome by Lorant Deutsch, published in 2009.
I picked up this one in Saint-Etienne last year, because I wanted to learn more about the history of Paris, France.  I didn't know anything about the book or the author, just thought it was a great idea, to tell the history of Paris, through selected Metro (subway) stations. There are 20 chapters, one for each century since the beginning of our era.
The knowledge of this man is incredible.  He is truly passionate about Paris, and he is able to transmit this to his readers.
It's  not a typical history book,  and he omits the most obvious, the stories you probably already have heard.  On the other hand, you get a lot of anecdotes, interesting facts and funny details about the city, and he tells us where to look for those remaining bricks, walls, even buildiings, that most people just pass  without knowing the story behind them...
This book was entertaining to read, but also very informative and useful to me, as I'm planning new group trips to Paris. 
As for now, I don't know that there exists an English translation. Hopefully there will be one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!