Sunday, March 18, 2012

Picture: Bal au Moulin de la Galette by Renoir

 Bal au Moulin de la Galette by Auguste Renoir is one of the most famous Impressionist paintings. It was painted in 1876, and you can see it in Musee d'Orsay. I saw it again last week, when I took my whole family there. And, by the way, the place itself is just a few minutes' walk from where I live right now. I walked passed it  a couple of days ago, and suddenly I imagined this scene coming to life. 
The painting is about a party.  A night of dancing, wine, people having a good time,  and you can feel the presence of the artist himself.  He's there, as so many times before, and he just paints what's there in front of his eyes. Without allegories, without a deeper meaning.  Just life, the way it comes.  
That's Impressionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!