Saturday, February 18, 2012

Picture of the day: Madonna della Seggiola by Raffaello


I saw this painting last week in Florence. It's displayed in Palazzo Pitti, in the Galeria Palatina. Rafaello painted this around 1513-1514, and it is famous because it's so different in style from the more typical Madonna-paintings he made.  The virgin is seated in a chair, thus the name of the painting, and she is dressed like a contemporain country girl. She holds baby Jesus, while John the Baptist is humbly watching her, while showing his devotion.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I am new to your blog your blog looks so cool but I think there is lack of one thing that is,,
    I think you have to add some painting pic's on your blog any how Nice sharing.
    Painting Company

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!