Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Reading Challenge


While visting the excellent blog xo.sorcha.ox, I found a great reading challenge.  It's hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block, called the Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2012, and it's basically about getting to read books in your "To be read"- pile.  (mountain...) All the books you choose to read during the challenge have to be in your possession as of January 1st 2012, and no library books can be counted in.
This challenge is probably what I need to actually read many of those great books I have lying around my house, some on bookshelves, others piled on my nightstand or floor. Some of them I have started reading, but for whatever reason wasn't able to continue past the beginning.  Most of these books are completely unread.
There are several levels on this challenge, from the lowest of 12 books (Pike's Pike) to the highest of 100 books (Mount Everest.)
I'll go for Mount Vancouver, and I've listed the 25 books I plan on reading this year. Most of them are writtten in English, 6 in Norwegian and 3 in French. They are mostly novels, but also several non--fiction, among them some biographies and a collection of lettres.
Fun fact: The first novel on my list is about a couple climbing a mountain. What a great way to start this Mount TBR Reading Challenge.
Well, I need to start climbing!


My Reading List:

  1. Anita Shreve: A Change in Altitude
  2. Gregory David Roberts: Shantaram
  3. Peter Hain and Desmond Tutu: Mandela
  4. Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson: En Glad Gutt
  5. Rainer Maria Rilke: Letters to a young poet
  6. F. Scott Fitzgerald: Tender is the night
  7. Nicholas Sparks: Safe Heaven
  8. Anita Shreve: Fortune's Rocks
  9. Lorànt Deutsch: Metronome
  10. Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Brødrene Karamazov
  11. Dan Brown: The Lost Symbol
  12. Mark Lévy: Les Enfants de la liberté
  13. Knut Hamsun: Victoria
  14. Ketil Bjørnstad: Liv Ullmann - Livslinjer
  15. Sophie Kinsella: Mini Shopaholic
  16. Karine Reysset: Les yeux au ciel
  17. Stephenie Meyer: The Host
  18. S. Mitra Kalita: My Two Indias
  19. Marc Lévy: Mes Amis Mes Amours
  20. Solveig Tufte Johansen: Bare Natten har verdensrom
  21. Nicholas Sparks: A Walk to Remember
  22. Anita Diamant: Good Harbor
  23. Jean-Paul Kauffmann: La Lutte avec l'Ange
  24. Bergliot Hobæk Haff: Den Evige Jøde
  25. Layla Demay and Laure Watrin: Une vie de Pintade à Paris

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Challenge! I am a little overwhelmed by the number of challengers I've gained! But it's nice to know that I'm not the only with a whole mountain of TBR books hanging around. Good luck with your climb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ville bare ønske deg et godt nytt år:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bev. And yes, I can understand your being overwhelmed,- you have started a world wide mountain expedition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lirosa, tusen takk, og godt nytt år til deg også! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the challenge! I look forward to seeing what you will read. :) Also a big thank you for visiting my blog. :)
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'll keep posting book reviews as I finish reading the books. Good luck to you too! (And thank again for telling about the challenge.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness this book made me laugh so hard! This is my favorite Sophie Kinsella book (although all of them are awesome!) This book makes you think about what's really important in life...it's not always all about a career and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading it, then! Thanks for the comment :-)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments!