Thursday, October 13, 2011

Grandpa's flowers

By the end of last summer, I mentioned to my father-in-law that I would love to have some of his shrubs and perennial flowers in my garden. 
Well, he took my request seriously, went ahead digging and cutting.  It was all trimmed down, just stumps without any flowers, and we left the next day with 14 big plastic bags filled with dirt, roots and twigs.  We had 7 hours of driving to do, with four kids in that same car...
Coming home, it was a true nightmare to find spaces for all of it, to dig the holes, to get these ugly, dirty things planted. I sort of regretted ever having asked that question.  You see, I'm a garden person, but not really a gardening person...  But, before summer was gone, I got it all planted, and then, after a long, cold winter, when the thick layer of snow finally was gone, my garden started to wake up, and what a joy to see all those colors!  I didn't have a clue what it was, most of it, and those stumps and roots surely didn't give away what they were going to look like when they sprung to life!
For five beautiful months we've now had a symphony of different flowers around the house, and in this picture you can see the October edition. 
Thank you, Grandpa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!