Thursday, April 21, 2011

Agony in the Garden

It's Maundy Thursday (Skjærtorsdag) today, and I choose this picture to illustrate the day: El Greco's Agony in the Garden from about 1595. Last year it was Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper , but tonight I want to focus on what happened after the famous last meal shared by Christ and his disciples.  They went to the garden of Gethsemane, and Jesus asked his friends to stay awake while he prayed, because he knew what was going to happen, and was very afraid. Well, his friends kept falling asleep, and Christ ended up all alone, praying the Lord to spare him. When I, as a child, first heard this story, it was as if I felt his distress, his tears, the sweat on his forehead. 
He was sitting there, all alone, in the dark, dreading what was to come, just wanting to escape, but still staying.  He asked, no he begged to be spared, but he added: "yet not my will but yours be done"...  

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I really love this one. The agony. I felt breathless while I was reading your post. I couldn't imagine going through that pain and am so grateful to Him that I don't have to. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to you too! (It's amazing, it really is!)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!