Monday, April 25, 2011

Book Review: Water for Elephants


I discovered this book in my local bookstore: Water for Elephants by Canadian author Sara Gruen.
  A love story set in the 1930's travelling circus world.  We meet Jacob Jankowsky, aged 93, who lives in a nursing home where he is bored and unhappy.  Then a circus comes to town, and we get to know his story, trough his memories... I love this story on many different levels.  It's a beautiful love story, of course, but it also a strong description of the relationship between human beings and animals.  Then, maybe even more, it is a story who reminds us that age is just time passing, nothing else.  The person within is the same, even when the mirror starts betraying...
Read it!

3 comments:

  1. I read the book last year with my book club. I really liked it, too! I am looking forward to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelley, I actually just saw the movie too (after reading the book). Will post a review today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this read and was kind of sad when I finished it.
    I am now looking for another novel that provokes the same engagement and experience. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!