Friday, February 25, 2011

Parenting a 14-year-old.


I'm continuing the series of blog posts describing my different roles in life.  This is - maybe - the hardest one of them all, being the mother of a 14-year-old girl.  Hard, because here I really feel time is running out.  We have so few years left with her being still a child, so few years where I can continue the parenting work, before she takes off with her own wings...
Keywords to the parenting are talking, listening and more listening.  Hugs, arguing, yelling (oh yes, that happens too...), laughing, sharing, more listening and more talking, explaining, answering really tough questions, supporting, suggesting, going to the cinema, to plays, ballet shows or concerts, going for walks, on foot or on cross-country skis, taking mom/daughter-trips, and just hanging out together.  I'm both amazed, proud, worried and exasperated, and I guess this comes with the job.
She made me a mother 14 years ago, and today, midway between child and woman, she challenges me a lot, on many levels, and she still makes me a mother -  on every new stage we reach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!