Saturday, January 29, 2011

Maternity by Picasso

While thinking of illustrations for yesterday's entry, this painting by Picasso came to my mind.  However, I didn't want to use it only as an illustration. It's one of the most beautiful paintings I know, and I felt that it deserved a presentation by itself.  
It was painted in 1905.  I have never seen this one IRL, and I haven't been able to find out where the original is.  If somebody knows, please tell me!
15 years ago, I mailed a postcard of this painting to my best friend.  Without signature, it silently told her that I was expecting my first child...
The picture itself doesn't need me explaining anything.  It's just beautiful, that's all.  Tender and vulnerable, and it shows the dull ache of a new mother's overwhelmed feelings...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!