Tuesday, December 21, 2010

India: Traditional Dress

I have no idea how to start telling my India story (stories), and right now, since I just got the pictures into my stationary computer, I'll just share a few ones of me getting dressed for the wedding, and then a few of me and my husband outside the wedding hall.
Kari, (the other Norwegian woman invited to the party) and I were dressed in traditional Maharashtrian saris.  These are no longer used very much, and are mostly kept for the big occasions.  All the other women in the wedding party wore plain saris.  
My dress was hand stitched, to measures.  That is, parts of it are stitched, the rest is a very long piece of fabric that has to be put on in a certain way, and as you can see from the pictures, it takes quite a few people (and lots of pins...)  to get it to sit right.
I felt special, I really did, since it was only the bride, the groom's mother, the groom's sister-in-law and the two of us who wore this particular type of sari.


The pictures are snapshots, just to give you an idea.  And, there will be more coming up, more pictures and stories. But, first, there is Christmas.









2 comments:

  1. Så flott, Kristine!
    Dere så fine ut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takk! Vi følte oss fine, også, det var skikkelig gøy å være riktig kledd!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!