Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Trees, Gingerbread and Potter

This morning we went to get our Christmas trees.  The big one for our living room, and the small one for our downstairs rec room.  Jonatan got to actually use the saw, and he was happy as only a 3-year-old can be.  All seven of us (my daughter's friend stayed with us this weekend.) went there, as this is part of our Christmas traditions.    
After being out in the snowy weather for a while, it sure was nice to be treated to hot drinks and gingerbread in an old barn, filled with candles and warmed by a big wood fire. 
This afternoon, our own gingerbread baking was on the list.  All of us helped out, rolling out the dough and using the cookie cutters, and the house slowly filled with the delicious gingerbread smell.  My daughter was going to the movies with a friend, but this one bailed out, because of some sports tournament finale.  My daughter was disappointed, because this was the last day to see this particular movie, the newest Harry Potter.  
Well, I had plans.  
Was going to finish the gingerbread for starters, had Christmas cards to write and some gifts to pack, plus probably tons of other "musts", but I just removed my apron, brushed the flour from my hands and face and told my husband I was going to the movies with my daughter.  He would have to finish the baking on his own.
My daughter was thrilled, and we had a good time!  The movie was not bad, and we talked about it while walking home in the cold and dark winter wonderland.
I just judged Christmas preparations to be less important this afternoon, and I'm glad I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!