Saturday, October 23, 2010

Parenting: The Worst Job Ever?


I haven't been tending to my blog these last days.   One of the reasons for this, is that I've been single-parenting my four kids for about 10 days, while having many other work responsibilities on my shoulders.  Well, in the end of the day, I'm so tired, that I just pass out in bed, without even reading my book.  

I'm sorry for neglecting my readers, and tonight you'll have a post, albeit a rather bitter-sweet one... 



Parenting is probably the toughest job there is out there.  
Think about it for a minute: 

  • You're on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  There is no vacation time, absolutely no leave of absence.
  • There is no salary, not in the money kind, anyway.
  • The job description says 24/7 for only about 18 years, but that's not true, or so I've heard.  It goes on, way beyond those years.  You're a mom for life, actually. and even when your not 'hands on' parenting, because you're away, or because your kids are in school, you're a mom, and a good portion of your brain keeps dealing with that job - all the time.  There is just no break.
  • And, every little thing you say - or don't say, everything you do - or don't, they have a huge  impact on your job result.   
  • The worst part is that it is actually very easy to mess up, because you never really got proper training for the tasks at hand.  
  • Without real training, you have to be:
  • Cook
  • Maid
  • Cab driver
  • Psychologist
  • Social worker
  • Peace mediator
  • Party planner (And lots more, of course.  I just don't take the time to find more jobs right now.)
  • Very often you have no clue about what to do, and suddenly you realize there isn't any real job description.  You'll try your best, of course, but you'll still mess up, again and again.  Serious complaints will follow, and you'll have to do lots of extra hours to make up for whatever damage you did.

WHO WOULD CHOOSE THIS?
So why would anyone with at least some sanity choose to do this?  Well, apart from that biological stuff, the urge to procreate and the need to see humanity go on, there is lots more.  So much I won't be able to fit it in this blog post, and I wouldn't have anyway, since this is supposed to be the tired, overworked mother's sour remark on parenthood.
I'll still give you a few pictures, just to balance the whole thing:
  • Chubby arms around your neck, tight hug, warm breath against your cheek and a  little voice saying "Hi mommy.  You are very kind.  I'm your boy."..
  • Another voice, in the middle of the night, waking you up because of a bad dream, and, then, peacefully going back to sleep, just because you are there...
  • Conversations that make you believe that your offspring possibly will make a good difference in this world...
  • Text messages in the middle of the day saying that somebody loves you...
  • The knowledge that this is Life, pure and simple, raw and basic, enclosing everything.

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments!