Friday, September 10, 2010

Pictures of the Day: Two Vermeer Paintings

While in London, though there weren't lots of 'must do's on my list, I did have a few wishes, and National Gallery on Trafalgar Square was one of them. 
I just wanted to see the two paintings by Vermeer being there...  (I am, after all, on a quest, about seeing every single one of the known Vermeers!)
I did see them.  Strangely enough, they weren't in the same room, so I ended up going back and forth between them several times, just to compare, look for similiarities and differences etc.
Here they are: 
"Lady Seated at a Virginal" and "Lady standing at a Virginal".  They are both painted in the beginning of the 1670's, by Johannes Vermeer, who lived in Delft, Holland.


They are typical Vermeer paintings, by being interior scenes, each featuring a woman, and with strong blues and yellows.  I'm intrigued by the way these two girls are looking directly at us, almost as if they are interrupted by us, maybe asking us : "Did you have a question?" I can almost feel they are a little bit annoyed, the same way I am when I'm interrupted while practicing the cello...
Anyway, I gazed at these two paintings for the longest time, going back and forth, sitting down, trying to see every single detail, every streak of light, and - I was touched.  Art does that to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kristine, my name is Myriam and I live in Uruguay, South America. I am an amateur artist and I fell in love with "Woman Seated at a Virginal" by Vermeer. As I never will be able to paint the whole thing, I took a corner of the painting and copied it. I gave it as a present to a friend of mine that plays the cello. If you are interested in seeing this painting, you can send me a message at tolita1@yahoo.com. I'm very happy for you. It must be wonderful to be able to travel and see all these masterpieces "in the flesh".
    Sincerely,
    Myram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Myriam! And yes, I know I'm lucky to be able to see real Vermeers. Every time I have experienced it, it touches me deeply.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!