Thursday, September 23, 2010

On Mom Blogs

The blog world is full of mommy bloggers, and of course their blogs vary from real excellence  to complete nonsense.
There are a few out there that I like reading, because they teach me something, or amuse me, or simply because they're well written, I have a good time being there!


But there is one thing that surprises me.  Many of these bloggers stop writing about parenting when their kids grow past – let's say – kindergarten age.  Either they stop blogging altogether, or they just change the theme to something else.


I guess there are several possible reasons for this.  One could be the fact that they don't want to write about an older child, in case his/her friends read the blog in question.  Thus, a kind of protection, a way of not exposing their child.  But, I don't think that's the main reason here, because if they had such thoughts, they would have considered not exposing the baby, the toddler and the preschooler as well.


I think one of the reasons is that it simply becomes too difficult.  It's harder to describe an older child, and it's even harder to talk about parenting.  The every day problems and challenges are more complicated, more diverse, and to find a way of dissecting it, that is not given.  I can totally relate to that.


Sadly, I think there is another reason, maybe the biggest one:  Many parents feel their parenting job is"done" when their child is in school.  They're done changing diapers, breastfeeding, getting up at night.  Done with strollers and carriers, exersaucers, car seats and swings, - and - they start to reclaim their time, let go a little – too soon...


Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject.


Painting: 'The Child's Caress'  by Mary Cassatt.  Honolulu Academy of Arts 

7 comments:

  1. I began writing my blog about my boys, but then my mother really stressed about me exposing their sweet faces and stories and personal things about them to the world. I didn't necessarily see it the same way she did, but...I guess I always hear her voice when I start writing about them. So, I just switched my theme entirely to just humor (at least how I see it). I still talk about them but I'm not as specific as I was before. More later...baby crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand that. And, I think you have found a wonderful way around that "grandma voice". You blog is really funny, and it is about humour, but it comes through that you are a mom, and you mention them, for instance in your tooth fairy post. And, what may have started as kind of a compromise, has become a a great humour blog - written by a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristine, that is so nice of you to say!! I really appreciate your kind words very much. Also, I like when people comment on my comments on my actual blog page. Maybe that is because I can't e-mail people directly from the comments (I don't think). I get a lot of responses to comments from others in my e-mail box. It's fine either way, I guess. I just know I typically respond in peoples' comment sections. I hope that is okay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming to my blog and leaving a comment! I love new friends. I've noticed that my blog as already ventured a little bit away from Grayson talk all the time. And he's not even 2 - maybe just because I get to have a little bit of life outside of him. know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi new follower, thanks for visiting my blog. How fun to connect with someone so far away.

    2 blogs I follow just recently stopped talking about their kindergardeners and I found it interesting. My kids are little so we'll see how I feel as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true and well written!

    Thanks for commenting my blog. I'm glad I could help you. I don't always appreciate my husband the way he deserves but here the past few months I've been working really hard at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandy, I know what you mean Those first months, nothing else exists, - and that's normal! -And, it's also normal that one, little by little, rediscovers the world around. It's almost like waking up from a dream bubble. But, in many ways, we'll always stay there too, we'll always stay moms, whatever happens. :-)

    Yes, Ashley, it is fun to connect with people across the world!

    Thanks,again, Zookeeper Jess!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!