Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Book Review: Twenties Girl

 


My husband picked up this book as a gift for me.  Well, it sat on my bookshelf for a good while, simply because I didn't really think it was a good read.  I had read other books by Sophie Kinsella , but from the title, I got the idea that this was some kind of light chick lit book about a women in her twenties, and I didn't feel too thrilled about it.


Well, one day I started reading it anyway, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was full of wit, entertaining and actually a very good reading experience!  And, Twenties Girl has nothing to do with being in your twenties, but living in the 1920's!  


It has an unrealistic side to it, one that I just had to accept, (like I accept the magic in Harry Potter) and from there on, I had a blast reading it!  A mystery, a secret lies underneath, one that kept me reading, but I had fun while doing so.


If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be writing about it.  I have no patience with books that don't catch me.  Sometimes I still finish them, but I wouldn't bother writing about them.


So, pick up Twenties Girl, tune in to Charleston dance music,  flapper dresses, pearl necklaces and feather hair bands!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have read it based on the title either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Just cut the main character some slack during the first pages. She seems superficial and silly, but she's supposed to come trough as such. Then, the story picks up.
    Still a 'girl read' I guess, but I enjoyed reading it, and my husband enjoyed listening to my recaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristine! In regards to I am Number 4, it's definitely not as good as Twilight. I don't think anything could be! But I did read it in one sitting and would have immediately moved on to the next one if it was out. I'm waiting for it. So I think it's worth reading! They are making a movie out of it already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds awesome. I love Sophia Kinsella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ashley, for the suggestion. I will definitively read it...

    Yes, Brandy, you should read this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!