Monday, August 2, 2010

The Beach House

This is a book I picked up at some bookstore, probably at an airport, just to have something easy to read when traveling.  
Well, actually, I was pleasantly surprised.  The book turned out to be some more than an easy read/chick-lit, and I will definitively check out Jane Green's other novels!
The story is about Nan, a 65-year-old widow, living in a old house on the island of Nantucket.  She has financial troubles, and chooses to rent out rooms for the summer.  
The house, which has been so quiet and empty for so many years, is now getting filled with people and their history.  There will be laughter, tears and some rather big surprises...
What I love the most about this story, is that everything that matters is taking place within confined physical boundaries, in this case, a house.  I can totally see this as a "huit clos" play, (the French expression that means something like the law term "in camera", "behind closed doors")-  it would really be perfect for a theater drama, or a movie. The action that does take place outside of the house, before, could be shown in monologues, or tableaus. 
Anyway, that's what I thought about while reading. I guess it's a typically summer read, whatever that is.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it neat whenever you find an unexpected literary gem? Interesting observation that the novel would make a good play/movie!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!