Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth!



I have lived over three years in the US, and I'll always have "a thing" for that country.  My first son is born there, I have wonderful friends there, and I have tons of reasons why I should go and live there.
Last year, when we lived there again for 6 months, my two eldest  children went to American public schools, and they would start every single day with holding their hand over their heart, while saying these words:


I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible, 
with liberty and justice for all.


I think it is beautiful.  And, today, when I attended an American church service here in my local church, I had a hard time holding back my tears.  There were Americans there, descendants of emigrants who, with broken hearts, left their families and friends, in hope of a better future.  I heard stories of grandparents who never stopped talking about Norway, but never ever talked about the actual leaving...  That was just too painful.  Today, their grandchildren and great-grandchildren are Americans, but they carry with them a piece of another country, as do most Americans.  This melancholy is maybe what makes USA special.




Happy Fourth of July, to all my American readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!