Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dust Bunnies, Mess and Parenthood

Some widely written and quoted words of wisdom for you tonight: 


"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling your driveway while it's still snowing."

A saying that is maybe over-used, but still, it is important to keep this in mind.  
Weeks like this one forces me to think about it.  My husband out of town (out of the country, in fact), there is not enough time to clean up my house before new mess builds up, and there are different end of the year-parties for my kids every single night.  Three of them have been with barbecue involved, that means I have to haul four kids, five camping chairs, a folding table, plates, cups, food to be barbecued, drinks, paper towels, diapers & wipes for my youngest, extra clothes in case it gets chilly, camera (there is usually some performance involved too) and lots of organization skills, especially when I wait in line to cook our dinner, while I hope my eldest daughter manages to control her siblings, all the while still keeping an eye on the toddler...


Back home again, I'll need to focus on washing kids/asking kids to wash, reading, nursing and tucking in.
Then there are lunches to pack  for tomorrow, diapers to prepare for my toddler's day in preschool, and maybe a load of laundry to hang. (Before it becomes smelly after waiting in the washing machine for too long...)


Today I didn't work, so my two-year-old was home.  
We sat forever eating breakfast, talking about frogs, birds and rabbits.  
Afterwards I had  planned to get stuff done around the house, but then he calls out for me, asking: "Mommy play trains with Jonatan?"  ("Mamma bygge togbane med Jonatan?")
And, how could I possibly tell him "not now", because I have to put away clothes and clean up the (very) messy kitchen?  
I'm so happy I actually sat down on the floor with him, right at that moment, and helped him build a train track... 

The mess will always come back, even when you spend a whole day cleaning and putting away stuff.  Your children's early years will never come back...


Tomorrow is work day.  I'll photograph somebody else's toddler, while mine is in preschool/daycare.   I'll edit pictures, and hopefully get some writing done, before my eldest kids come home from school and I go and pick up my youngest.
Then I cook dinner for the five of us, and there are four kids who want to tell about their day.  Cleaning the house will probably have to wait another day yet.


(And the dust bunnies don't need taking care of, they grow on they own.  And, they do make funnier noises in the vacuum cleaner when they are a little bit bigger!)

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't get any better as they get older, they do however get more creative in the messes they make.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!