Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My little Preschooler...


Until now, Jonatan has been with me - or his daddy - all the time.  It has been a choice, even if we had planned on starting preschool/daycare a little bit earlier.  I work from home, which makes it easier, but I haven't been able to receive customers without my husband taking time off from his work, and doing this "family shift work" can be stressful at times.  We did wait, because we wanted this one place for him, the center where both our girls have been spending time, where we know the staff and their way of nurturing/teaching children.
I said until now, because as of recently, Jonatan has started preschool/daycare.  I've been visiting the center with him several times, and he came there as a baby with his sister, so he already knew the place.  I still stayed with him the first days, and only left for a few hours the first times.
Today, for the first time, he spent five hours away from our home... (three of them were asleep, yes, he takes long naps!) 
I was supposed to get lots of work done in my office, but I was hardly able to think straight.  Wandering around, all tears, sobbing, sniffing and feeling like a horrible mother.
When I went to pick him up, he came running towards me, smiling, giving me a hug that lasted forever, before running off to play again...
He had done great.  (And I knew, since I had been on the phone with the center at least three or four times since I left...)  They have a wonderful outdoor area, and he had been riding a tricycle, playing in the sand, finding earthworms, and, as I mentioned, napping for three hours in his stroller!
Well, I guess I should be convinced, but I'm not.  Not yet.  It will take some time.  He is after all my baby.  And even if he is just going to be there three times a week, it feels like I've lost him a little bit...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! He is getting big. It must be so hard to leave him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed visiting your blog. Very insightful. Hopefully, you will be blessed by my writings.
    God Bless, Bob West
    http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/god-vs-science.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Moonaroo, it is hard. But, they're great with him, it's only three short days a week, and I will have time to get my work done now, during more "normal" hours. But, still in a way it feels like I'm doing something wrong.
    Bob, thanks for commenting and following. Your Einstein post has been read several times around here.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!