Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Last Supper


This painting "The Last Supper" by Leonardo da Vinci is one of the world's most famous works of art.  It shows Jesus and his disciples at their last meal together, the night before he was killed.


"And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. And he said to them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. Truly I say to you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God."



This is the main theme of Maundy Thursday (Skjærtorsdag).  A group of friends meeting with their teacher and dear friend for the last time, probably not having a clue of what he was talking about, and definitively not understanding what was going to happen within the next 24 hours...

The painting is a mural, finished in 1498, painted on the back wall of the dining room (refectory) of the Santa Maria Delle Grazie convent in Milan, Italy.  The convent was destroyed during World War ll, but the wall containing the painting was mostly saved, thanks to sandbags.  This is how the dining hall looks today, after restauration.













I haven't been there yet, but I will - one day.  This is one of the works of art I need to see for real.  Today, Maundy Thursday, the day we commemorate the subject of the painting, I will show a reproduction of it to my children, tell them about it and about the story behind it.


3 comments:

  1. Kristine, thank you for this posting of a wonderful image of DaVinci's Last Supper. Tomorrow is Maundy Thursday 2012 and I was just looking for inspiration and a realistic reproduction of the painting when I found your post. A Blessed Holy Week to you.

    Another Kristine (aka: Kris)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris, and a Blessed Holy Week to you too!

      Delete
  2. One of the most mysterious paintings of all time... I am surprised how its so difficult to find a restored (digital) version of Leonardo's masterpiece online. But maybe it's not so surprising... Only 20% of "Last Supper" by Leonardo remains. (Kristine's photo looks like the pre-cleaned version, before Barcilon's 20 year painstaking restoration project).

    Could any digital restorer really render with pixels, Leonardo's almost sublime brush strokes? I have my doubts....

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!