Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday Parade in Sicily

Three years ago I spent Easter in Palermo, Sicily.  I was all by myself in a city where I had never been before, something that was both thrilling and scary.  Good Friday it rained all day, and I wandered the streets  with my camera tucked in under my rain coat, taking it out just long enough to snap some pictures once in a while.  
What amazed be the most this day was the Good Friday parades.  They were all over town (and in every single city and village all over Sicily), and the participants kept walking for hours and hours.  Some were dressed as Roman soldiers, a little boy was Christ himself, and young men carried stretchers with life size sculptures of the dead Christ.  These stretchers were so heavy that they had to be about 40 men to every stretcher.  They were walking two and two holding around each other, to help support the weight. Funeral music was played by the marching bands, a slow, melancholic rhtytm, that made me think of the second Godfather movie.







6 comments:

  1. Following you back Happy Friday Follow
    ~Cindi
    http://littleyayasandblessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I found your blog through Friday Follow and am now following.
    I would love it if you stopped by my blog: What I Live For
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Thanks for stopping by from Friday Follow. Enjoy your weekend! - Rita @ One 2 Try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by to say Hi and Happy Follow Friday! Following you!
    I have a whole bunch of giveaways going on if you wanted to check them out!
    Visit Mama’s Money Savers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.. I’m Barb from Friday follow..I'm new to this but have found such wonderful people doing these parties & link ups. I wish the rest of the world could be as uplifting & supportive to each other as I have experienced here. I hope you will pop over to see my blog & get inspired for your family/ home & that you will become a follower of mine too. Happy Easter!! Barb
    P.S. Hope to have my own link party April 12th “My Creative Space Monday” @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    …..I’d love you will join up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for following, everybody, and Happy 2nd Easter Day. (That's how today is called in Norway.)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!