Thursday, March 11, 2010

Red Beans And Rice Burritos



Here it is, the recipe I wrote about.  I made this for dinner yesterday.  It is quick and easy to prepare, but yummy and healthy.  It's also perfect for a vegetarian diet.  I discovered it at The Six O'Clock Scramble.


Red Beans And Rice Burritos


1 cup (ca. 2 1/2 dl) rice
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, cut into small pieces
1 green bell pepper, (paprika) cut into small pieces
Garlic, about 2 cloves, finely chopped
15 oz red kidney beans,  rinsed and drained*
15 oz, Italian-style stewed tomatoes*
1 Tbs/ss ground cumin
1/4 tsp/ts cayenne pepper (optional)**
Large (burrito size) tortillas. (Count 2 per person, more if very hungry)
Salsa
Sour cream / rømme


*(For my Norwegian readers:  I found these cans (hermetikkbokser) in a big ICA store.  Just buy several of them, and stock!)


** I don't use this.  Too strong for my youngest.  I put salt and pepper shakers on the table.


Cook the rice.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Not too hot!  Add the onions, peppers and garlic and sauté them until the onions and peppers are soft, about 7-8 minutes.



Add the beans, tomatoes, cumin and cayenne (optional), bring to a boil and let simmer for a few minutes.
Add the cooked rice and stir it in thouroughly.



Heat the tortillas (microwave or oven, see the package instructions) and let everybody serve themselves:  Place a scoop of the mixture in the heated tortillas, top it with salsa and sour cream if desired, and wrap them burrito-style.



I usually make a double portion, and then it's perfect for 6 (with some leftovers)


I picked up this recipe when we lived in Seattle last year, and my kids love it.  We were all happy to see that the very same cans of beans and stewed tomates can be bought here, at our local grocery store.


It only takes the time the rice needs to cook, so this is is very quick to make, healthy and very tasty.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Høres herlig ut! Takk for oppskrift, noterer på handlelista mi nå. Alltid godt å få noen nye, og sunne, middagsoppskrifter :-)
    Ha en fin dag!

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bare hyggelig. Håper det smaker, og ha en fin dag du også! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!