Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Olympic Spirit


It's kind of strange.  I'm  really not that into sports.  The all-European #1 sport, soccer (fotball, foot),  normally I could care less about it.  The local team, the English teams, Champion's league, I have no clue.  
But, once in a while, or, to be more specific, every 4th year, there is the World Cup, and something happens to me: Maybe a mutation in my brain, maybe a transformation not unlike the one werewolves experience, I don't know.  But, whatever the reason, I become interested.  Suddenly I know everything there is to know about soccer.  I'm watching games on TV late at night, I'm all into the Croatian team, I know the names on all the French players, and don't even mention my state of mind if  Norway takes part.
With the Olympics, it's the same thing.   It begins already with the opening ceremony.  I'm all emotions and excitement, watching while the athletes go marching in, seeing the olympic torch lightening the huge flame who is going to burn for 16 days.  Maybe it is the historical aspect, the lines drawn all the way back to antique Greece.   Maybe it's the aspect of having all the world getting together to play, making entertainment, not war...  Yes, I know there are intrigues, money talk, prestige etc etc, of course there is, when human beings are involved, but, the bottom line is that people are playing, not shooting.
By the way, sometimes they do shoot.   I just love biathlon.  For those among you who don't know this sport, it is a combination of nordic skiing (cross-country) and target shooting.  Imagine going full speed for miles, and then being able to stand still and concentrate enough to hit target, five times...
 I'm watching different ski competitions and figure skating, curling games and downhill skiing, and I love it, because it is the Olympics.  I'm not addicted to it, and it doesn't matter that much if I don't watch it, but if  possible, I watch some of it every day.  I love hearing the National Anthems (not only the Norwegian one!), seeing medals being given to the winners and flags being raised.  I love seeing beautiful winter landscapes, seing people from all over the world standing there, watching, all bundled up and singing to keep warm.  I love the spirit of the whole thing, and I'm not ashamed of it.  In a week or so it will be over, and I'm back to not being particularly interested in sports.  
Probably.
Photo borrowed from Whole Travel Blog 

2 comments:

  1. I am so with you! Because the events are "close" to us we actually thought that we might go, but it seemed given the cost and planning hassle that we would actually see more staying home. See more I have, pretty much every night, way too late and I am normally about as much of a sports fan as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being there is great too (atmosphere etc), Jon stayed for a week in Lillehammer during the '94 games, and it is a lifetime experience. But, I think going as a family would mean a lot of stress.. (he went with a group of friends, rented a cabin close by the ski tracks, and there were things going on 24/7!) and like you said, we see a lot more staying in front of the TV. Tonight I have a "moms' dinner" at a former playgroup mom's house, and I'm actually really worried that I'm the only one who will vote in favor of keeping the TV (or radio) on during the Men's Relay (cross-country skiing)...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!