Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy Days In Norway by Sigrid Undset

I finished it yesterday, while cleaning my house.  Yes, audio books are wonderful, and coupled with my iPhone, I can read while I'm folding laundry, cooking, or working at my desk editing photos or making proof albums.
The book was published in 1949, in the United States, and it was originally in English. 
It was part of a project, an idea by Mrs Eleanor Roosevelt, where authors from different occupied countries should write a children's book about what it was like to be a child in that particular country before the war, when the days were still happy...
Undset writes about her own family and their life in Lillehammer, a small Norwegian town.  Even though this book originally was written for children, it is a wonderful read for older people too.  The story follows the family during one full year, and we learn about Christmas traditions, school life and everyday situations.  But, within this "simple life" kind of story, there is also several deep and interesting lectures on Norwegian history and culture.  As a Norwegian I actually learned things I never knew, or at least never thought about in that way, and as with all Undset books, there are so many places to quote.  See my post about real happiness , where I've given you one of these wonderful passages.
Sigrid Undset is one of my favorite authors.  I love her words, her way of explaining, painting with language.  And, her life story is interesting as well.  Receiving the Nobel Literature Price, writing many, many outstanding books, and raising three children, mostly as a single mother.  I'm in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!