Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Un Conte de Noël




Yes, this was the first French movie I've seen in a long time.  (Too long time!)  The title translates "A Christmas Tale"/ "En Julefortelling", and the story is about a family coming together for Christmas in the parents' grand townhouse.  
Love, death, hate and secrets bind them all together in various ways.  
This film is often described as a "dark comedy", but I'm not sure if I agree with that definition.  Dark, yes, and sometimes strange, but comedy, no.
Catherine Deneuve is fantastic as Junon, the matriarch, and Mathieu Amalric is convincing as Henri, the middle child and  black sheep of the family.  Chiara Mastroianni is Sylvia, the daugther-in-law.
I'll definitively stack this DVD among my Christmas movies.











No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!