Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Away We Go




I live in a small town on the outskirts of the world, and that means that we don't always get to see foreign movies while they are brand new in our little cinema theater.
As with this Sam Mendes directed movie, Away We Go.
For those who haven't seen it yet, I can say the film is about a couple in their thirties, expecting their first baby, and undertaking a trip, crisscrossing North America to find the ideal place to start a family.
I had read about it this summer.  It was a rather bad review, saying the story was unrealistic and too American.  Well, this bad review made me want to see it!  And, then, this fall, I remember my brother mentioning it, saying it was funny.




At last - I got to see it this weekend, and I'm so happy, when I not too often get to go to the movies, that I'm able to sort through and choose works I'll actually remember!
This one is not grand or spectacular.  It's not really extraordinary either, but that's part of it, at least for me.
The main characters are ordinary people, searching for a home, for the life they want to have.  But, on the same time, it shines through that this home, this place they're looking for, is just the stage set for their life.  The two of them are what count, really.  The same goes for their jobs.  We don't learn a whole lot about what they do for a living, and it really doesn't seem to matter in this story.
I see this film as being profound in the way it treats our main aspects: Life, death and love.  Who we are, where we come from, what we search, what life is about.




On the other side, the movie is also a comedy, and many of the scenes had me laugh out loud!  I love this duality, being able to both laugh and reflect - within the same story.
Last, but not least, the movie has good photography, and this, together with the music, paints a beautiful and evocative backdrop.



Photography(cinematographer): Ellen Kuras

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!