Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Saints' Day


Today is the day where people all over the world remember their lost loved ones.  I know that in many countries it is tomorrow, that today is about the Saints, but in the Protestant tradition, these two have become one.  In cemeteries we see candles and lanterns burn on the graves, and the day is often particularly hard for those recently left behind...

I was in church today, and I lit a candle, among many others, on a large rock to the side of the altar.

The following verses (in Norwegian, of course) were read in churches all over Norway today.  They are words of comfort to those who suffer, because of a loss
or for any other reason:

This is what the Lord says:
"In the time of my favor I will answer you,
and in the day of salvation I will help you;
I will keep you and will make you
to be a covenant for the people,
to restore the land
and to reassign its desolate inheritances,


to say to the captives, 'Come out',
and to those in darkness, 'Be free!'
"They will feed beside the roads
and find pasture on every barren hill.


They will neither hunger nor thirst,
nor will the desert heat
or the sun beat upon them.
He who has compassion on them
will guide them
and lead them beside springs of water."


Isaiah 49: 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!