Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A few moments

I have a few moments in the morning these days.
A few moments where I'm awake and alone, before my children get up.
Silent kitchen, coffee brewing, a glass of orange juice in my hand,
and, for the first time since last winter,
a candle on the table.
The dawn is not spectacular, like yesterday, but happening
in quiet understatement, behind a layer of clouds.
Silent kitchen.
I can write, and I can think.
Letting my thoughts wander where they please, for a few moments still.
The oatmeal is cooking behind me. Bubbly,lazy sound.
I'm getting up,
stretching,
and I'm off to wake up my children.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you that you can actually get yourself out of bed! I am so lazy in the mornings that I find myself sleeping until the very last minute, scrambling to get myself up, and get the kids out the door. I should try, try, try to get up a bit earlier. It sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!